Four months into the lockdown, it was no longer time for just ensuring “essentials”. It called for a new level of agility to embrace the new normal. And IGTC PGPBA management trainees were certainly up for the challenge! The learning in the digital space was propelled to the highest level of seriousness and rigor, and when we looked back at the end of the term, we were pleasantly surprised at how much had been achieved. IGTC is proud to recap the highlights of the interesting modules taught, the course deliverables and engagements, and the key takeaways by the trainees.
Advertising & Digital Marketing
Understanding Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) to manage advertising strategy, consumer research and media and to ultimately build a career in marketing communications.
- Group assignment on SWOT analysis by utilizing the 5 Step Brand Story Framework of digital marketing
- Group assignment to study customer insights of an ad and create micro-moments that trigger needs in customers to buy the product
B2B (Industrial) Marketing
Developing the ability to take decisions in different B2B scenarios through a graded case study approach, assimilating critical concepts such as Customer Lifetime Value, Wallet Share, and Customer Equity and developing the trainee’s personal skills to apply them in B2B markets.
- Rohm & Haas case study to prepare product strategy and integrated marketing communication plan
- Standard Machine Corporation case study and Electrical Equipment Limited case study for devising price modelling and to illustrate B2B pricing strategies
Introducing major laws such as Indian Contract Act, Sale of Goods Act and Negotiable Instruments Act, which develops and builds legal reasoning and analytical skills, an understanding of the legal framework and environment under which the businesses operate.
- Quiz on PESTEL environment to keep trainees abreast about current legal affairs
- Group project and presentations on Information Technology Act, Consumer Protection Act, Companies Act, Competition Act, Employment Contract, Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks and Geographical Indications of Intellectual Property Laws
Learning the tools to evaluate the financial performance of a company or business; and the techniques of project evaluation to understand calculation of cost of capital, dividend policy and sources of short-term and long-term finances.
- Interpretation of Profit and Loss statement, Balance Sheet and Ratio Analysis
- Online MCQ Test on Working Capital Management, Cash Budgeting and Concept of EVA
- Excel based numerical exercises on Ageing Schedule & Time Value of Money, Discounted Cash Flow by using Net Present Value (NPV) & Internal Rate of Return (IRR), Cost of equity by using Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) and Dividend Discount Model (DDM)
Emerging trends in international financial markets, strategies and techniques for raising funds from such global markets and the relative risks associated with such exposures.
- Quiz on short and long term financing
- Polls on Incoterms, Letter of Credit and Equity Funding through ADR and GDR
- Online MCQ Test on Foreign Exchange Market, Regulations in International Trade, Currency Exposure and Risk Management
- Virtual Group Activity on corporate strategies on managing currency exposure
International Business & Trade Policies
Creating an awareness about International Trade Laws, International Conventions, Foreign Trade Policies (FTP), Export Import Regulations, Special Economic Zones and Industry 4.0.
- Analysis, group assignment and presentations on diverse, contemporary topics, which have emerged as an aftermath of Covid-19 pandemic, such as global sourcing, export of essential items, shifting of industries from China to India, Anti-Dumping Duty (ADD), Anti-Subsidy Duty and the emergence of “Atmanirbhar Bharat” with reduction of imports.
Applying statistical techniques in data analysis and improving the understanding of marketing principles.
- SPSS case study that helps future managers in understanding Segmenting, Targeting and Positioning of their product in the market
- Comprehensive project and presentation on each of these 7 market research tools, viz. Cluster, Discriminant & Factor Analysis, Multiple Correlation & Regression, Discriminant analysis and Conjoint Analysis
Sales & Distribution
Endowing the skills to face the various challenges faced by the Sales Head in a continuously changing environment by giving them an overview of the Sales Management Process.
- Role play to understand and manage a sales team, plan quotations and sales budgets
- Breakout room discussions on sales pitches and strategies for increasing product sales
- Framework study for FMCG distribution and trade marketing by inventory & logistics management
Services and Retail Marketing
Learning the nuances of Services and Retail Marketing and its difference from regular product marketing.
- Class activity to introduce 8Ps of Integrated Service Management
- Case study to study Service Gap Model and to introduce concepts of Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning
- Designing Service Blueprint to optimise service process
Defining, conceptualizing and understanding Strategic Management as a process to practice in Corporate Business by studying Blue Ocean Strategy, Bartlett and Ghoshal Internationalization tool and Ansoff matrix.
- Archies vs Vintage Case Study to analyse and find the correct industry in which the business fits and functions by studying its external environment
- ITC Case Study to recognise the concept of diversification of a conglomerate
- Microsoft Case Study to identify the organization culture
- Go Global Case to realise the need of globalization by introspecting a company’s abilities
- Tata Case Study on CSR to understand the importance of achieving the golden middle between economic profits EVA of a company and their CSR
Supply Chain Management
Identifying the supply chain challenges across various functions and understanding the relevant system based solutions. The module comprised of trending topics like Block Chain Management, Reverse Supply Chain, Lean Agile & Le-Gile Supply Chains, Inventory Management, Capital Management, Kano Model, Manufacturing Strategies and Product Modularity.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Case Study to describe concept and scope of supply modelling
- 7Eleven Convenience Store Case Study to describe the SCM Framework
- DHL Case Study to formulate GREEN Supply Chain
- BCG Matrix for product portfolio management and Kraljic model for purchase item management
- Fisher’s Framework to understand Forward Supply Chain
- Honeywell Case study to know the benefits of Closed Loop Supply Chain
- Asian Paints Case study to understand the strategy to achieve highest market share with high inventory turnover ratio
With this term load of work in diverse functional areas behind them, the trainees now look forward to their practical training stint in their respective organizations and toward building their final integrated business plans on a business idea! Never a dull moment in the life of a management trainee at IGTC!